Pages

May 23, 2012

Car Trouble

 

We've been working ourselves into the ground to get money earned to start to pay Corey's student loan off next.  Something got into Corey's head and he decided that we were going to find a way to pay the entire thing off this month.  That's something like $2,650 in one month.  Since that's more than our normal income this month, I've been keeping my hopes up but the numbers weren't adding up.  We made much more than expected at the garage sale, dipping our toes into the waters of Ebay was paying off, and I had a boudoir party and a wedding this month for the studio.  We actually got up over half of the balance of his loan waiting in the bank account and then we realized that we had a decent expense coming up.  Twice.

Both of our cars have been having issues lately, Corey's tires and my brakes have been making us anxious.  My car is 8 years old and Corey's is 11 so it's not a surprise that we're going to have car maintenance.  The tires that have been on Corey's truck are over 10 years old and have spent years sitting in a drive way.  Brakes break and need to be replaced.  We did some price comparisons and headed out to get new tires.  


It feels different to not scramble to figure out how you're going to pay for something and get groceries out of the same paycheck.  It's pretty nice.  Even when the total is pretty lame.


We headed up to Kansas City and dropped my truck off at the dealership that my dad works at to get looked at.  We had to replace sway bars, realign tires, replace brake pads, and other car mumbo jumbo that means that my car is in better shape now.  When I heard how much it was going to be, I was thrilled.  I mean not to pay that much but that it wasn't twice that.  We didn't have to touch our emergency fund and still have money left over to pay on his loan this month.


If we're lucky, we'll be able to get his loan below the $2000 mark by the end of the month and I think I'm still floored by that.  Maybe next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment